Tax Preparation Help  
Pub. 583, Starting a Business and Keeping Records 2007 Tax Year

Publication 583 - Introductory Material

Table of Contents

Attention: This publication was revised for the business start-up costs and organizational costs discussion only. We are in the process of updating this publication. To find changes that may affect 2005 returns, see What's New in your income tax return instructions; Publication 553, Highlights of 2005 Tax Changes; or What's Hot In Tax Forms, Pubs, and Other Tax Products at To comment on this revision process, see Comments and Suggestions on the next page.

  (Note: This table is intended to help you, as a new business owner, learn what you need to know about your federal tax responsibilities. To use it, ask yourself each question in the left column, then see the related discussion on the page shown in the right column.)
What Must I Know? Where To Find the Answer
Which form of business will I use? See Forms of Business above.
Will I need an employer identification number (EIN)? See Identification Numbers on page 3.
Do I have to start my tax year in January, or may I start it in any other month? See Tax Year on page 4.
What method can I use to account for my income and expenses? See Accounting Method on page 5.
What kinds of federal taxes will I have to pay? How should I pay my taxes? See Business Taxes on page 5.
What must I do if I have employees? See Employment Taxes on page 7.
Which forms must I file? See Table 2 on page 6 and Information Returns on
page 8.
Are there penalties if I do not pay my taxes or file my returns? See Penalties on page 9.
What business expenses can I deduct on my federal income tax return? See Business Expenses on page 9.
What records must I keep? How long must I keep them? See Recordkeeping on page 11.

This publication provides basic federal tax information for people who are starting a business. It also provides information on keeping records and illustrates a recordkeeping system.

Throughout this publication we refer to other IRS publications and forms where you will find more information. In addition, you may want to contact other government agencies, such as the Small Business Administration (SBA). See page 24 to find out how to get more information.

Comments and suggestions.   We welcome your comments about this publication and your suggestions for future editions.

  You can email us at *[email protected]. Please put “Publications Comment” on the subject line.

  You can write to us at the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Business Forms and Publications
1111 Constitution Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20224

  We respond to many letters by telephone. Therefore, it would be helpful if you would include your daytime phone number, including the area code, in your correspondence.

Previous | Index | Next

Publications Index | 2007 Tax Help Archives | Tax Help Archives Main | Home