Tax Preparation Help  
Publication 1544 2008 Tax Year

Publication 1544 - Introductory Material

Table of Contents

If, in a 12-month period, you receive more than $10,000 in cash from one buyer as a result of a transaction in your trade or business, you must report it to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) on Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business.

This publication explains why, when, and where to report these cash payments. It also discusses the substantial penalties for not reporting them.

Some organizations do not have to file Form 8300, including financial institutions who must file FinCEN Form 104 (formerly Form 4789), Currency Transaction Report, and casinos who must file FinCEN Form 103 (formerly Form 8362), Currency Transaction Report by Casinos. They are not discussed in this publication.

This publication explains key issues and terms related to Form 8300. You should also read the instructions attached to the form. They explain what to enter on each line.

Previous | Index | Next

Publications Index | 2007 Tax Help Archives | Tax Help Archives Main | Home