2000 Tax Help Archives  

Publication 554 2000 Tax Year

Important Changes for 2000

This is archived information that pertains only to the 2000 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Standard deduction. For most people, the standard deduction has increased. See Standard Deduction, later.

Earned income credit. You may be eligible for the credit if you earn less than:

  1. $27,413 and have one qualifying child living with you,
  2. $31,152 and have more than one qualifying child living with you, or
  3. $10,380, do not have a qualifying child, and are at least 25 years old and under 65.

For more information, see Earned Income Credit, later.

Paid preparer authorization. Beginning with your return for 2000, you can check a box and authorize the IRS to discuss your tax return with the paid preparer who signed it. If you check the "Yes" box in the signature area of your return, the IRS can call your paid preparer to answer any questions that may arise during the processing of your return. Also, you are authorizing your paid preparer to perform certain actions. See your income tax package for details.

Photographs of missing children. The Internal Revenue Service is a proud partner with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Photographs of missing children selected by the Center may appear in this publication on pages that would otherwise be blank. You can help bring these children home by looking at the photographs and calling 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) if you recognize a child.

Previous | First | Next

Publication Index | 2000 Tax Help Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home