2000 Tax Help Archives  

Publication 554 2000 Tax Year

Estimated Tax

This is archived information that pertains only to the 2000 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Estimated tax is a method used to pay tax on income that is not subject to withholding. This income includes self-employment, interest, dividends, alimony, rent, gains from the sale of assets, prizes, and awards.

Income tax is generally withheld from pensions and annuity payments you receive. However, if the tax withheld is not enough, you may have to pay estimated tax. If you do not pay enough tax through withholding and/or by making estimated tax payments, you may be charged a penalty.

Who Must Make Estimated Tax Payments

If you had a tax liability for 2000, you may have to pay estimated tax for 2001. Generally, you must make estimated tax payments for 2001 if you expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for 2001 after subtracting your withholding and credits, and you expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:

  1. 90% of the tax to be shown on your 2001 tax return, or
  2. 100% of the tax shown on your 2000 tax return. The 2000 tax return must cover all 12 months.

If all of your income will be subject to income tax withholding, you probably do not need to make estimated tax payments.

For more information on estimated tax, see Publication 505.

Previous | First | Next

Publication Index | 2000 Tax Help Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home