1999 Tax Help Archives  

General Information

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1999 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

IRS Domestic Topics

  • Five Ways to Save on Your 1999 Taxes
    Cut your federal income tax by the full amount of the HOPE Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. Subtract the full amount of the Child Tax Credit right off your total tax bill. Save for the future with a Roth IRA without paying tax on future gains or earnings by following certain guidelines. Minimize the taxes required on certain IRA withdrawals for qualified costs of higher education or a first home. And don't forget the "same year" deductions.
  • Save Up To $500 For Each Child
    This is an important tax benefit that every parent will be glad to hear. Now, for each qualifying child under 17, you may be able to subtract up to $500 from your 1999 federal income tax, unless your income exceeds specified levels.
  • Save Up To $1500 On College
    Are you footing the costs of higher education for yourself or your family? Save now-with either of two tax credits related to higher education. If you qualify, you can subtract the full credit from your federal income tax.
  • IRA Tax Benefits 1999
    With all you've heard about Roth IRAs, deductible IRAs, non-deductible IRAs - are you a bit confused about what's best for you? Here's a quick overview, straight from the IRS.
  • New Ways To Save On Your '99 Taxes
    The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, introduced a wide range of tax-saving benefits to the American taxpayer.
  • Education Tax Credits
    The following two tax credits are available to persons who pay higher education costs. The Hope credit, and The lifetime learning credit.
  • Guidelines for Reporting Capital Gains
    For people who owned stocks, mutual funds or other investments last year, capital gains tax rules will affect how they file their tax returns and how much tax they'll owe from those investments.
  • Know Your Rights as a Taxpayer
    Taxpayers are entitled to fair treatment, privacy and representation, in addition to specific rights that apply in collection, examination or appeals matters.
  • Tax Materials and Assistance Available in Spanish
    If you know someone who may need tax assistance in Spanish, be sure to let him or her know that the IRS offers a variety of helpful services for Spanish-speaking taxpayers.
  • Higher Education Tax Incentives
    If you are continuing your education or if you have a child attending college, you should know about two education tax credits that could change the bottom line on your tax return.
  • Moving? Remember to Update Your Address Information
    Have you moved since you filed your last tax return? Are you planning to move before your tax refund will be sent back to you? If so, be sure to take the necessary steps so that your refund isn't lost or returned to the Internal Revenue Service.
  • What's New for 1999 Taxes?
    There are a number of tax law changes that may apply to you when you file your tax return this year. These changes may mean the difference between getting a tax refund and paying more taxes.
  • How to Prepare Your Return for Mailing
    This year, most 1040 tax packages will contain an envelope with two labels that will enable the IRS to more efficiently sort the refund returns from the remittance returns.
  • IRS Offers Free Help
    The Internal Revenue Service offers free tax help to taxpayers worldwide. Publication 910, Guide to Free Tax Services, describes a number of IRS tax materials and programs that are available year-round through the IRS and explains how to access them.
  • Installment Programs Make Tax Payments More Affordable
    Large tax bill . . . little money . . . what can you do? The Internal Revenue Service has payment options for those who can't pay their tax bills in full when they are due.
  • IRS Tax Assistance is Just a Fax, Phone Call or Mouse Click Away
    It's easy to get tax help and information from the Internal Revenue Service. Print, fax, telephone and computer services are available all year long.
  • Child Tax Credit
    Your children may be worth more than you realize. Depending on your income - and if you have at least one qualifying child - you may be able to take a Child Tax Credit of up to $500 for each qualifying child on your 1999 federal income tax return.
  • Check, Money Order, Credit Card, Direct Debit May Be Used to Pay Taxes
    This year, based on which filing option you use (paper, e-file by computer, or TeleFile by phone), you may be able to pay your taxes via check, money order, credit card, or direct debit.
  • A Message to Taxpayers from the IRS Commissioner
    As we begin the year 2000 tax filing season, the Internal Revenue Service continues to work to put service first for America's taxpayers. We want to build on the foundation we established last year and give you more support and help than ever before.
  • Are You Eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?
    The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is for people who work, but don't earn high incomes. Those who qualify could pay less federal tax or no tax-they could even get a tax refund.
  • Filing Taxes from Home Means Quicker Refunds
    The Internal Revenue Service offers a convenient filing option for people who wish to prepare their tax returns using a personal computer.
  • New Taxpayer Advocate Service Helps with Unresolved Tax Issues
    Positive changes are underway at the IRS. The Taxpayer Advocate Service has an increased staff, more independence from the IRS, and the authority to help solve difficult tax problems.
  • IRS e-file 2000
    People who want to get their tax refund faster can help speed things up by using IRS e-file.
  • Small Businesses can File Form 941 by Phone
    Small businesses have an option to file their Form 941 quarterly returns using a system that has proved highly popular and successful among individual taxpayers.
  • Click onto the IRS
    The Internal Revenue Service Web site provides easy access to IRS tax forms, publications, and other helpful information for individuals and businesses to browse and to download.
  • Pay Your Taxes to the U.S. Treasury
    When the bottom line of the tax return says, "Amount You Owe," write a check, and make it payable to the United States Treasury, not the Internal Revenue Service.
  • IRAs Make Dollars and Sense
    Are you saving money towards your retirement? For many, setting up an individual retirement arrangement (IRA) can provide some peace of mind for retirement years.
  • Attention Business Owners: Tax Law Changes May Affect You
    Changes in the tax law will affect the way business owners complete their 1999 tax returns and the way they'll conduct business in the year 2000. Some changes include new rules that make it easier to claim a deduction for the business use of your home.
  • Raise Your Employees' Take-Home Pay with Advance EITC
    Employers can help many of their employees get extra money in their take-home pay with a tax benefit called the advance earned income tax credit (Advance EITC).
  • Tax Information for Small Businesses
    The IRS publishes a lot of tax information to help small business owners, and now there are more ways than ever before to get it - without leaving your office.
  • Tax Treatment of Disaster and Casualty Losses for Individuals and Business Owners
    If your property has been damaged or destroyed by a casualty, you may be able to get a tax refund based on your unreimbursed loss.
  • Get a Faster Refund With Direct Deposit
    Expecting a tax refund? You can get it faster if you fill out the direct deposit information on your tax return to directly deposit your refund into your bank account.

IRS International Topics

1999 Tax Year Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home