1998 Tax Help Archives  

General Information

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1998 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

changeaddress.gif (9013 bytes)Change of Address

Don't let a refund get lost or returned to the Internal Revenue Service. Taxpayers should add the IRS to their list of people and places to notify about their change of address. If the IRS doesn�t have their current address, then a tax refund or any letters about past returns may never get to them. Fill out IRS Form 8822 and send it to the IRS.

missingw-2.gif (6343 bytes)Missing Form W-2

Employers have until February 1, 1999, to issue a Form W-2 to each employee. Employees should check with their employers if they don�t have the W-2 within a couple days after that. If they still don�t get the W-2 by February 15, they may call the IRS for help at 1-800-829-1040.

Tax Withholding on Government Payments

People who get certain government payments can choose to have federal income tax withheld from them. Doing so can eliminate the need to file and pay quarterly estimated taxes.

Those who get unemployment compensation, Social Security or tier 1 railroad retirement benefits, Commodity Credit Corporation loans or certain crop disaster payments can make this choice. Fill out Form W-4V, "Voluntary Withholding Request," and give one to each payer from which you get these types of payments. Call 1-800-829-3676 to get the form or download here.

General Information | 1998 Tax Year Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home