1998 Tax Help Archives  

General Information

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1998 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

irsoffers.gif (8022 bytes)IRS Offers Free Help

The Internal Revenue Service offers free tax help and year-round customer service to taxpayers. Get free Publication 910, Guide to Free Tax Services, to read all about the tax help, publications and services for individuals and businesses. Call 1-800-829-3676 to order. Here are some highlights.

Advocates for Taxpayers

People who have not found help with their tax problem through traditional IRS contacts can ask their taxpayer advocate for help. The advocate has the authority to cut through red tape and intercede for people who are experiencing a hardship because of a tax problem. Call toll-free 1-877-777-4778.

Volunteer Tax Help

Get help with basic tax returns through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. Both provide specially trained volunteers to prepare basic tax returns. VITA and TCE volunteers help older individuals, those with disabilities, and non-English speaking taxpayers with their taxes in places convenient to them. Call the IRS for the nearest location.

Braille and Large-Print Materials

Federal tax materials in Braille are available at Regional Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped in conjunction with the Library of Congress. These materials include Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax; Publication 334, Tax Guide For Small Business, and Forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, and Schedules A and B, with instructions. Large-print copies of Form 1040, its schedules and instructions are in Publication 1614. Large-print copies of Form 1040A, Schedules 1, 3 and EIC, and instructions are in Publication 1615. The copies can be used as worksheets to figure tax, but can�t be filed as tax returns.

callirs.gif (4128 bytes)IRS Call IRS for Service

It's easier to get tax help and information from the Internal Revenue Service. Print, fax, telephone and computer services are available all year long. Here are some numbers to remember. "800" and "877" numbers are toll-free.

l. Free forms and publications- 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM). Get Publication 910 for a list of most publications, some in Spanish.

2. CD-ROM of most IRS forms and publications-buy a CD for $25 from the National Technical Information Service at 1-877-233-6767 or for $18 at www.irs.gov/cdorders on the Internet.

3. Recorded tax messages on TeleTax - 1-800-829-4477 for automated refund information and to hear over 140 tax topics, some in Spanish.

4. Hearing-impaired tax assistance - 1-800-829-4059 using TTY/TDD equipment.

5. Tax assistance - 1-800-829-1040.

6. Taxpayer Advocate - 1-877-777-4778 to help cut through red tape when problems can�t otherwise be resolved.

7. IRS on the Internet - Web: www.irs.ustreas.gov File Transfer Protocol: ftp.irs.ustreas.gov Telnet: iris.irs.ustreas.gov

8. Modem - 1-703-321-8020

9. Forms and instructions by TaxFax - dial 1-703-368-9694 from the fax machine.

l0. International TaxFax numbers -dial from the fax machine. Bonn: [49] (228) 339-2822/2824 San Juan: (787) 759-4524/4525 Tokyo: [81] (3) 3224-5465

taxesinspanish.gif (6828 bytes)IRS Taxes in Spanish

People who need tax help in Spanish can get free IRS Publication 579SP, Cómo Preparar la Declaración de Impuesto Federal. It has information in Spanish about which form to file, which filing status to choose, taxable and nontaxable income and some of the more common tax credits. Call 1-800-829-3676 to order.

General Information | 1998 Tax Year Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home