1998 Tax Help Archives  

Publication 553 1998 Tax Year

Publication 553:
Highlights of 1998 Tax Changes

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1998 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

1. Tax Changes for Individuals 5. Excise Taxes
2. Tax Changes for Businesses 6. Exempt Organizations
3. IRAs and Other Retirement Plans 7. Foreign Issues
4. Gift and Estate Taxes 8. Taxpayer Rights


This publication highlights many tax law changes that take effect in 1998 and 1999, but you will only find the 1998 changes here in this section. The changes that do not take effect until the 1999 tax year are in another file. Click here if you want to review the 1999 changes.

Tax legislation. Many of the provisions of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, the IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, and the Tax and Trade Relief Act of 1998 are discussed in this publication. They include the following items.

  • A child tax credit for each qualifying child under age 17.
  • Two credits for qualifying higher education costs.
  • Repeal of the 18-month holding period for capital gains.
  • Expanded protection for an innocent spouse.
  • Increased taxpayer rights in dealing with the IRS.
  • A new income averaging for farmers.
  • New rules for business use of the home.
  • Increase in the health insurance deduction for the self-employed.
  • Technical corrections that affect the new Education and Roth IRAs.

See the later discussion of each topic for more information.

Adjusting your withholding or estimated tax payments for 1999. If there will be a significant change (increase or decrease) in the tax you owe for 1999, you should adjust your withholding or estimated tax payments accordingly. By adjusting your withholding or estimated tax payments now, you can get the benefit of lower taxes throughout the year. If you will owe more tax, you can avoid a penalty when you file your tax return.

See the following table for forms and publications that will help you adjust your withholding or estimated tax payments.

To adjust your.... Get form... And publication...
Withholding W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate 919, Is My Withholding Correct for 1999?
Estimated tax payments 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax

1998 Tax Year Archives | Tax Help Archives | Home