1997 Tax Help Archives  

Who Must File Magnetically

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

The requirements to file magnetically or electronically depend on the types of information returns you must file.

Any person, including corporations, partnerships, employers, estates, and trusts, who files 250 or more information returns on any 1099 series form, 1098, 5498, W-2G, 1042S, and 8027, or more than 250 Forms W-2 for any calendar year, must file these returns electronically or magnetically. This requirement applies separately for each type of form. All requirements apply separately to both original and corrected forms.

Forms 1098, the 1099 series, 5498, and W-2G may be filed electronically or on ½ inch magnetic tape, 8mm, 4mm and quarter inch tape cartridge, 5 ¼ inch diskette, or 3 ½ inch diskette. General information on filing and making corrections as well as specifications for magnetic media and electronic filing are found in Publication 1220. To request this publication, call 1-800-829-3676.

Form 8027 may be filed on ½ inch magnetic tape, and 5 ¼ inch and 3 ½ inch diskettes. Specifications for Form 8027 may be found in Publication 1239. Form 1042S may be filed electronically on ½ inch magnetic tape, tape cartridge, or on 5 1/4 inch or 3 ½ inch diskettes. Form 1042S specifications may be found in Publication 1187.

For assistance with the information in Publication 1187, 1220, and 1239 contact the Information Reporting Program Call Site by calling (304) 263-8700, or on Telecommunications Device for the Deaf TDD telephone number (304) 267-3367 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

All specifications for magnetic filing of Forms W-2 may be found in the technical bulletins available from the Social Security Administration.

If you are unable to prepare the files yourself, and want to purchase software or locate someone to file on your behalf, the Information Reporting Program Call Site can provide you with a list of vendors. The list may also be downloaded from the Information Reporting Program Bulletin Board System by dialing 303-264-7070. The list is for information only, and in no way implies IRS approval or endorsement of products or services. You may also check your telephone directory for service bureaus.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home