1997 Tax Help Archives  

Tax and Credits Figured by IRS

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

If you choose, the IRS will figure your tax on Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, or Form 1040 if you mail your return by April 15, 1998. If you had too much withholding or estimated taxes, you will receive a refund. If you did not pay enough, you will be billed. If the Internal Revenue Service figures your tax, you will not be charged interest or penalty for late payment if the bill for the tax due is paid within 30 days of the notice date or April 15, 1998 whichever is earlier. However, if you did not pay enough tax during the year, you may be charged a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Refer to Topic 306 for more detailed information.

Fill in parts of the return and any schedules that apply. See Publication 967 for complete information.

If you qualify for the earned income credit or the tax credit for the elderly or the disabled, we will figure it for you. However, there are several requirements you must meet. These are listed in your tax package and in Publication 596, Earned Income Credit; and Publication 524, Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. Refer to them to see if you qualify, or refer to Topic 601 for Earned Income Credit, or Topic 603 for Credit For The Elderly or the Disabled.

Publication 967, The IRS Will Figure Your Tax provides details on what information you must provide us, such as which lines you must fill in and which forms you must complete and attach to your return.

If you don't have to file a return, but are filing only to take the earned income credit, follow the instructions in your tax package.

Forms and publications may be ordered by calling 1-800-829-3676, or downloaded from this web site.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home