1997 Tax Help Archives  

Nontaxable Income

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Some types of income you receive are not taxable. When you total your gross income to see if you are required to file a tax return, do not include your nontaxable income. You should keep records of your nontaxable income. Some types of income that generally are not taxable include:

  • Child support payments,
  • Welfare benefits,
  • Life insurance proceeds that are received because of the death of an individual,
  • Interest on state or local government obligations,
  • Accident and health insurance proceeds,
  • Property received as a gift or inheritance,
  • Benefits received under any law administered by the Department of Veteran's Affairs; and
  • Amounts received under a worker's compensation act for an occupational sickness or injury.

All or a portion of your Social Security or equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits may be nontaxable. See Topic 423 for more information.

Some scholarship and fellowship grants may be non-taxable. See Topic 421.

Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, contains additional information on items not taxed. Call 1-800-829-3676 to order a copy.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home