1997 Tax Help Archives  

Alimony Received

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Alimony, separate maintenance, and similar payments from your spouse or former spouse are taxable to you in the year received. The amount is reported on line 11 of Form 1040. You cannot use Form 1040A or Form 1040EZ. The person making the payment may claim a deduction in the year paid on Form 1040. You must give the person who paid the alimony your social security number. If you do not, you may have to pay a penalty.

Do not include child support payments as taxable income. If your decree or agreement calls for both alimony and child support and specifies amounts for each, only the alimony is taxable.

If you receive alimony, you may have to pay estimated tax. See Topic 355 for additional information.

For more information, order Publication 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals, or see Topic 452, Alimony Paid.

Publications can be ordered by calling 1-800-829-3676, or downloaded from this web site.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home