1997 Tax Help Archives  

Tax Fraud - How to Report

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Our federal income tax system is based on voluntary compliance. This means that each of us is responsible for filing a tax return when required, and for determining and paying the correct amount of tax.

Some people break the law by not filing a return, not reporting all their taxable income, or claiming higher deductions than they should. By doing this they cause the rest of us to pay more taxes than we should to make up the amount they do not pay. If you believe someone is violating federal tax laws, you should contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for the Criminal Investigation Hotline in your region. If you prefer, you may provide your information in writing to your local Internal Revenue Service office, or the Criminal Investigation Branch at the Service Center where you file. Refer to your tax package for the address of your Service Center. Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity will be kept confidential. You may also be entitled to a reward.

Additional information about such rewards and about informing the IRS of persons in violation of tax laws is contained in Publication 733, Reward for Information Given to the IRS, which can be ordered by calling 1-800-829-3676. This publication is currently unavailable on-line.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home