1997 Tax Help Archives  

1040 PC Format Return

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Last year 8.2 million people filed the 1040PC tax return. The 1040PC is an alternative to filing a conventional paper tax return. It is a computer generated tax return that prints out only the lines on which you made an entry. This format can reduce an 11 page conventional tax return to two pages. Because you're using IRS accepted software which automatically performs math calculations, there are fewer errors, which means faster processing of your return by the IRS. Look for IRS accepted software with the 1040PC print option, advertised in computer magazines or at your local software store.

Individual income tax returns, attachment forms and schedules can be filed using the 1040PC format. Taxpayers who would normally file a Form 1040, Form 1040A or 1040EZ may participate. However, these returns will print in the 1040 format. If you are expecting a refund you have several options. The overpaid amount will be refunded by check or by Direct Deposit to your checking or savings account. You can also have your refund applied to next year's estimated tax, or divided between the two options. If you have a balance due you can file your 1040PC early just to get your taxes completed and pay any balance due with a payment voucher by April 15th.

With your "IRS accepted" tax preparation software package you can prepare the 1040PC tax return using a personal computer (plain bond paper) and any printer accepted by your software package. After you print the 1040PC return, attach to the back top left hand corner of the 1040PC return Copy B of each Form W-2, W-2G, and 1099R, and any other required forms needing a signature other than your own. Then sign it and mail it to IRS. If there is a balance due, you will be given the address where you can send your payment and payment voucher. In addition, many professional tax preparers also offer the 1040PC format return.

If you need more information, call 1-800-829-1040, and ask for the Electronic Filing Coordinator.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home