1997 Tax Help Archives  

Change of Address -- How to Notify IRS

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

If you have moved, you need to notify the IRS to ensure that you receive any tax refunds due to you or any other IRS communications. You may correct the address on the mailing label you received with your tax return package, or write the new address on your return when you file. We will update your records when your return is processed.

If you change your address after filing your return, you should, of course, notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded. But, to change your address with us, you should write to the IRS service center where you filed your last return and provide your new address. The service center addresses are listed in the instructions to the tax forms.

In order for us to process a change of address, we need your full name, signature, old and new addresses, and your social security number or employer identification number. If you filed a joint return, you should provide this information for both spouses. If you filed a joint return, and then you and your spouse established separate residences, you both should notify us of your new addresses.

An optional form Form 8822, Change of Address, is available to help you submit an address change. To obtain a copy call 1-800-829-3676.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home