1997 Tax Help Archives  

Form W-2 - What To Do If Not Received

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

In general, employers must provide employees with a 1997 Form W-2 by January 3l, 1998. Even if you do not receive your Form W-2, you must still file your return on time.

If it is after January 3lst, and you want to file your return, but have not received your Form W-2, you should:

First, contact your employer to find out if or when the W-2 was mailed. You may not have received your W-2 because of an incorrect or incomplete address. This can be checked and corrected when you talk to the employer.

Second, if the W-2 was returned to the employer due to incorrect or incomplete address or was not yet issued, allow a reasonable amount of time for the employer to remail or issue the W-2. Then, if you still do not receive your W-2, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-800-829-1040, but not before February l6th. When you call, you will need to give us the following information in order for us to prepare Form 4852, Substitute for a Missing Form W-2.

  1. Your employer's name and complete address, including zip code, employer identification number (if known), and telephone number,
  2. Your name, address, including zip code, social security number, and telephone number; and
  3. An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer.

IRS will mail you a copy of Form 4852, but you should use it only if necessary to meet the filing deadline. If you file your return and attach Form 4852 instead of a W-2, your refund may be delayed while the information you gave us is verified.

If you receive a corrected W-2 after you file your return, and it does not agree with the income or withheld tax you reported on your return, you must file an amended return. For information on amending your return, please see Topic 308.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home