1997 Tax Help Archives  

What To Do If You Haven't Filed Your Tax Return

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1997 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

For various reasons, you may not have filed your federal income tax return for this year or previous years. You may not know whether you were required to file, or you may not have filed because you owe additional tax that you cannot afford to pay in full. You may not have filed because you expect a refund and just have not taken the time to complete the return.

Regardless of your reason for not filing, the IRS is ready to help you.

If you cannot pay all of the tax due on your return, we may be able to assist you with arranging payments. See Topic 202 for more information on what to do if you cannot pay your income tax.

Failure to file your return on or before the due date may result in penalty and interest charges. Interest is charged on taxes not paid by their due date, even if you have an extension of time to file. Interest is also charged on penalties.

If you do not file your return by the due date (including extensions), you may be subject to the failure to file penalty and the failure to pay penalty. However, if you file on time but do not pay in full, you will be subject only to the failure to pay penalty.

For answers to your tax questions, information about payment arrangements, or any other tax-related inquiry, please call 1-800-829-1040.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home