1996 Tax Help Archives  

CP22A - We Changed Your Account

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1996 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

If you received a CP 22A Notice titled, "We Changed Your Account", it means that we are reporting to you a summary of changes to your account resulting from an amended return that you filed, or a proposal of tax change initiated by us.

The changes themselves are outlined on the first page of the notice. You should look them over and compare the figures with the ones on your copy of the amended return, or the proposal of tax change you had received and to which you had responded earlier. Remember that changes to one year's tax return may cause or require items on another year's return to change, as well. You may wish to review your tax returns from other years for similar changes, or changes resulting from what is summarized on your notice.

If your notice indicates, on page one, that you are due a refund, there is no need to respond, unless you believe that we have made a mistake in our figures, or that we have not considered some important information. In that case, please call us toll-free at 1-800-829-8815. If possible, please have a copy of your amended return or proposal and adjustment notices when you call.

If you have not received your refund yet, you should get it within six weeks from the date of this adjustment notice.

We could not include the check with your notice, because checks are processed in a different location and mailed through a different system. Of course, if you owe some other taxes, or have another past due federal obligation such as child support, or a student loan, we will use your refund to pay that debt. We will send you the remainder of the refund.

If your notice indicates, on page one, a balance due and you agree with our figures, send payment by making your check or money order payable to the "Internal Revenue Service". Include on your payment, the primary social security number from your return; your name, address, and daytime telephone number; the tax form, such as "1040" and the tax year. Mail your payment, along with the tear-off stub from the last page of the notice, to the return address enclosed. If you need to make payment arrangements, refer to Topic 202. Again, if you think that the figures on the notice are incorrect, please call us toll-free at 1-800-829-8815. Have copies of your notices or a copy of the amended return with you when you call, if at all possible.

Information on computation of penalties and interest charged to you on balances due or interest paid to you on refunds are shown on pages two and three of your notice.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home