1996 Tax Help Archives  

Notice of Change to Return

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1996 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

If you received a CP 13 notice titled, "We Changed Your Return, You Have an Amount Due," it means IRS changed some of the figures on your income tax return. We explain why we made the changes on the second page of the notice. Please read that part carefully.

The changes we made to your figures are outlined in the tax statement on the first page of the notice. You should look them over and compare the figures with the ones on your copy of your income tax return. Remember, the changes we made may cause some other items on your return to change also, so you may wish to review your whole return.

You don't need to respond to this notice unless you believe that we have made a mistake in our figures or that we haven't considered some important information.

In that case, please call us at the toll-free number 1-800-829-8815. If possible, please have a copy of your tax return and the notice when you call.

When the amount you owe is less than $5, it is our policy to disregard it. When the refund is less than $1, it will be sent to you upon request.

If you normally make estimated tax payments you should check over the way you figured how much to pay, because the changes we made to your income tax return may change the amount of the estimated tax payments you'll need to make this year. For more information about estimated tax payments, order refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home