1996 Tax Help Archives  

Gambling Income and Expenses

This is archived information that pertains only to the 1996 Tax Year. If you
are looking for information for the current tax year, go to the Tax Prep Help Area.

Gambling winnings are fully taxable and must be reported on your tax return. You must file Form 1040 and include all of your winnings on the line for "other income" on your return. Gambling income includes, but is not limited to, winnings from lotteries, raffles, horse races, and casinos, as well as the fair market value of prizes such as cars and trips.

If you receive $600 or more in gambling winnings, the payer generally is required to issue you a Form W-2G. If you have won more than $5,000, the payer generally is required to withhold 28% of the proceeds for Federal income tax.

You can deduct gambling losses only if you itemize deductions.

Claim your gambling losses as a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A, Form 1040. However, the amount of losses you deduct cannot total more than the amount of gambling income you have reported on your return. It is important to keep an accurate diary or similar record of your gambling winnings and losses. To deduct your losses, you must be able to provide receipts, tickets, statements or other records that show the amount of both your winnings and losses. See Publication 529, Miscellaneous Deductions, for information on recordkeeping.

For additional information, see Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income.

Tax Topics & FAQs | Tax Help Archives | Home