Tax Preparation Help  
Tax Topic #651 2008 Tax Year

Topic 651 - Notices � What to Do

If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS, it will explain the reason for the contact and give you instruction on how to handle your problem. If you agree with the changes there is no need to contact us. If you owe a balance, follow the instructions for sending your payment. If you do not agree, please respond as directed in your notice. You must allow at least 30 days for a response. If you are due a refund and owe no other debts that we are required to pay on your behalf you will receive the refund within 6 weeks of the notice date.

If we send you a second letter or notice requesting additional information or providing additional information to you, keep copies with your records.

If you made a payment for which you haven't been given credit, send a copy of the front and back of the check as proof of the payment. If payment was made by money order, you must obtain a copy of the front and back of the canceled money order from the place where the money order was purchased. Never send original documents.

If you contacted us about a lost or stolen refund check, the notice we sent you will tell you what action to take. If you receive a Notice CP-2000, refer to Topic 652.

If you make quarterly estimated tax payments, please review your computation. You may need to make changes to the amount of your payments based on the changes we made.

All notices should tell you where to send your reply.

Most correspondence can be handled without calling or visiting an IRS office, if you follow the instructions in the letter or notice. However, if you have questions, call the telephone number that is usually found in the upper right–hand corner of the notice. Have a copy of your tax return and the correspondence available when you call, so your account can be readily accessible.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: December 22, 2008

Previous | Index | Next


You can search for information in the entire Tax Prep Help section, or in the entire site. For a more focused search, put your search word(s) in quotes.

Tax Topic Categories | FAQ Categories | Tax Prep Help Main | Home