IRS Tax Forms  
Publication 544 2001 Tax Year

Important Reminders

Investing in DC Zone assets. Beginning in 2003, investments in District of Columbia Enterprise Zone (DC Zone) assets held more than 5 years will qualify for a special tax benefit. If you sell or exchange a DC Zone asset at a gain, you will not have to include any qualified capital gain in your gross income. This exclusion applies to an interest in, or property of, certain businesses operating in the District of Columbia. For more information, see Publication 954, Tax Incentives for Empowerment Zones and Other Distressed Communities.

Dispositions of U.S. real property interests by foreign persons. If you are a foreign person or firm and you sell or otherwise dispose of a U.S. real property interest, the buyer (or other transferee) may have to withhold income tax on the amount you receive for the property (including cash fair market value of other property, and any assumed liability). Corporations, partnerships, trusts, and estates may also have to withhold on certain U.S. real property interests they distribute to you. You must report these dispositions and distributions and any income tax withheld on your U.S. income tax return.

For more information on dispositions of U.S. real property interests, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

Foreign source income. If you are a U.S. citizen with income from dispositions of property outside the United Staters (foreign income), you must report all such income on your tax return unless it is exempt from U.S. law. This is true whether you reside inside or outside the United States and whether or not you receive a Form 1099 from the foreign payor.

Photographs of missing children. The Internal Revenue Service is a proud partner with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Photographs of missing children selected by the Center may appear in this publication on pages that would otherwise be blank. You can help bring these children home by looking at the photographs and calling 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) if you recognize a child.

Previous| First | Next

Publication Index | IRS-Forms Main | Home