Tax Preparation Help  
Form 1040 Instructions 2005 2005 Tax Year

Social Security Number (SSN)

An incorrect or missing SSN may increase your tax or reduce your refund. To apply for an SSN, fill in Form SS-5 and return it to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can get Form SS-5 online at, from your local SSA office, or by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get an SSN.

Check that your SSN on your Forms W-2 and 1099 agrees with your social security card. If not, see page 63 for more details.

IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) for Aliens

If you are a nonresident or resident alien and you do not have and are not eligible to get an SSN, you must apply for an ITIN. For details on how to do so, see Form W-7 and its instructions. It usually takes about 4-6 weeks to get an ITIN.

If you already have an ITIN, enter it wherever your SSN is requested on your tax return.

Note. An ITIN is for tax use only. It does not entitle you to social security benefits or change your employment or immigration status under U.S. law.

Nonresident Alien Spouse

If your spouse is a nonresident alien and you file a joint or separate return, your spouse must have either an SSN or an ITIN.

Previous | First | Next


You can search for information in the entire Tax Prep Help section, or in the entire site. For a more focused search, put your search word(s) in quotes.

Form 1040 Instructions Main | Tax Prep Help Main | Home