IRS Tax Forms  
Instructions for Form 1120 & 1120-A 2001 Tax Year

U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return U.S. Corporation Short-Form Income Tax Return

Other Forms, Returns, and Statements That May Be Required


The corporation may have to file some of the following forms. See the form for more information.

  • Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, and Form W-3, Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements. Use these forms to report wages, tips, and other compensation, and withheld income, social security, and Medicare taxes for employees.
  • Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings. Use this form to report gambling winnings from horse racing, dog racing, jai alai, lotteries, keno, bingo, slot machines, sweepstakes, wagering pools, etc.
  • Form 720, Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return. Use this form to report and pay the luxury tax on passenger vehicles, environmental taxes, communications and air transportation taxes, fuel taxes, manufacturers taxes, ship passenger taxes, and certain other excise taxes.
  • Form 851, Affiliations Schedule. The parent corporation of an affiliated group of corporations must attach this form to its consolidated return. If this is the first year one or more subsidiaries are being included in a consolidated return, also see Form 1122, Authorization and Consent of Subsidiary Corporation To Be Included in a Consolidated Income Tax Return, on page 4.
  • Form 926, Return by a U.S. Transferor of Property to a Foreign Corporation. Use this form to report certain transfers to foreign corporations under section 6038B.
  • Form 940 or Form 940-EZ, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return. The corporation may be liable for FUTA tax and may have to file Form 940 or Form 940-EZ if either of the following applies.
    1. It paid wages of $1,500 or more in any calendar quarter in 2000 or 2001 or
    2. It had at least one employee who worked for the corporation for some part of a day in 20 or more different weeks in 2000 or 20 or more different weeks in 2001.
  • Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return, or Form 943, Employer's Annual Tax Return for Agricultural Employees. Employers must file these forms to report income tax withheld, and employer and employee social security and Medicare taxes. Also, see Trust fund recovery penalty on page 7.
  • Form 945, Annual Return of Withheld Federal Income Tax. File Form 945 to report income tax withheld from nonpayroll distributions or payments, including pensions, annuities, IRAs, gambling winnings, and backup withholding.

    See Trust fund recovery penalty on page 7.

  • Form 952, Consent To Extend Period of Limitation on Assessment of Income Taxes. This form is filed to extend the period of assessment of all income taxes of the receiving corporation on the complete liquidation of a subsidiary under section 332.
  • Form 966, Corporate Dissolution or Liquidation. Use this form to report the adoption of a resolution or plan to dissolve the corporation or liquidate any of its stock.
  • Form 1042, Annual Withholding Tax Return for U.S. Source Income of Foreign Persons, and
  • Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding. Use these forms to report and send withheld tax on payments or distributions made to nonresident alien individuals, foreign partnerships, or foreign corporations to the extent these payments constitute gross income from sources within the United States (see sections 861 through 865).

    Also see Pub. 515, Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities, and sections 1441 and 1442.

  • Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns.
  • Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement. Use this form to report the receipt from any individual of $600 or more of mortgage interest (including points) in the course of the corporation's trade or business and reimbursements of overpaid interest.
  • Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement. Use this form to report the receipt of $600 or more of student loan interest in the course of the corporation's trade or business.
  • Forms 1099. Use these information returns to report the following:
    1. 1099-A, Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property.
    2. 1099-B, Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions.
    3. 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt.
    4. 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions.
    5. 1099-INT, Interest Income.
    6. 1099-LTC, Long-Term Care and Accelerated Death Benefits.
    7. 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income. Use this form to report payments: to certain fishing boat crew members, to providers of health and medical services, of rent or royalties, of nonemployee compensation, etc.

      Note: Every corporation must file Form 1099-MISC if it makes payments of rents, commissions, or other fixed or determinable income (see section 6041) totaling $600 or more to any one person in the course of its trade or business during the calendar year.

    8. 1099-MSA, Distributions From an Archer MSA or Medicare+Choice MSA.
    9. 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount.
    10. 1099-PATR, Taxable Distributions Received From Cooperatives.
    11. 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
    12. 1099-S, Proceeds From Real Estate Transactions.

    Also use these returns to report amounts received as a nominee for another person.

  • Form 1122, Authorization and Consent of Subsidiary Corporation To Be Included in a Consolidated Income Tax Return. For the first year a subsidiary corporation is being included in a consolidated return, attach the completed form to the parent's consolidated return. Attach a separate Form 1122 for each subsidiary being included in the consolidated return.
  • Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts. Use this form to report a distribution received from a foreign trust; or, if the corporation was the grantor of, transferor of, or transferor to, a foreign trust that existed during the tax year. See Question 5 of Schedule N (Form 1120).
  • Form 5452, Corporate Report of Nondividend Distributions. Use this form to report nondividend distributions.
  • Form 5471, Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations. This form is required if the corporation controls a foreign corporation; acquires, disposes of, or owns 10% or more in value or vote of the outstanding stock of a foreign corporation; or had control of a foreign corporation for an uninterrupted period of at least 30 days during the annual accounting period of the foreign corporation. See Question 4 of Schedule N (Form 1120).
  • Form 5472, Information Return of a 25% Foreign-Owned U.S. Corporation or a Foreign Corporation Engaged in a U.S. Trade or Business. This form is filed if the corporation is 25% or more foreign-owned. See Question 7 on page 19.
  • Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Use this form to report contributions (including rollover contributions) to any IRA, including a SEP, SIMPLE, Roth IRA, Coverdell ESA, and to report Roth conversions, IRA recharacterizations, and the fair market value of the account.
  • Form 5498-MSA, Archer MSA or Medicare+Choice MSA Information. Use this form to report contributions to an Archer MSA and the fair market value of an Archer MSA or Medicare+Choice MSA.

    For more information, see the general and specific Instructions for Forms 1099, 1098, 5498, and W-2G.

  • Form 5713, International Boycott Report. Corporations that had operations in, or related to, certain boycotting countries file Form 5713.
  • Form 8027, Employer's Annual Information Return of Tip Income and Allocated Tips. Use this form to report receipts from large food or beverage operations, tips reported by employees, and allocated tips.
  • Form 8264, Application for Registration of a Tax Shelter. Tax shelter organizers use this form to receive a tax shelter registration number from the IRS.
  • Form 8271, Investor Reporting of Tax Shelter Registration Number. Corporations, which have acquired an interest in a tax shelter that is required to be registered, use this form to report the tax shelter's registration number. Attach Form 8271 to any tax return (including an application for tentative refund (Form 1139) and an amended return) on which a deduction, credit, loss, or other tax benefit attributable to a tax shelter is taken or any income attributable to a tax shelter is reported.
  • Form 8275, Disclosure Statement, and Form 8275-R, Regulation Disclosure Statement. Disclose items or positions taken on a tax return that are not otherwise adequately disclosed on a tax return or that are contrary to Treasury regulations (to avoid parts of the accuracy-related penalty or certain preparer penalties).
  • Form 8281, Information Return for Publicly Offered Original Issue Discount Instruments. Use this form to report the issuance of public offerings of debt instruments (obligations).
  • Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business. Use this form to report the receipt of more than $10,000 in cash or foreign currency in one transaction or a series of related transactions.
  • Form 8594, Asset Allocation Statement Under Sections 338 and 1060. Corporations file this form to report the purchase or sale of a group of assets that constitute a trade or business if goodwill or going concern value could attach to the assets and if the buyer's basis is determined only by the amount paid for the assets.
  • Form 8621, Return by a Shareholder of a Passive Foreign Investment Company or Qualified Electing Fund. Use this form to make certain elections by shareholders in a passive foreign investment company and to figure certain deferred taxes.
  • Form 8697, Interest Computation Under the Look-Back Method for Completed Long-Term Contracts. This form is used to figure the interest due or to be refunded under the look-back method of section 460(b)(2). The look-back method applies to certain long-term contracts accounted for under the percentage of completion method or percentage of completion-capitalized cost method.
  • Form 8810, Corporate Passive Activity Loss and Credit Limitations. Closely held corporations (and corporations that are personal service corporations) must use this form to compute the passive activity loss and credit allowed under section 469.
  • Form 8817, Allocation of Patronage and Nonpatronage Income and Deductions. Use this form to figure and report patronage and nonpatronage income and deductions (used by taxable cooperatives).
  • Form 8842, Election To Use Different Annualization Periods for Corporate Estimated Tax. Corporations use Form 8842 for each year they want to elect one of the annualization periods in section 6655(e)(2) for figuring estimated tax payments under the annualized income installment method.
  • Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes. Corporations use this form to claim a refund of certain excise taxes.
  • Form 8865, Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Partnerships. A domestic corporation may have to file Form 8865 if it:
    1. Controlled a foreign partnership (i.e., owned more than a 50% direct or indirect interest in the partnership).
    2. Owned at least a 10% direct or indirect interest in a foreign partnership while U.S. persons controlled that partnership.
    3. Had an acquisition, disposition, or change in proportional interest in a foreign partnership that:
      1. Increased its direct interest to at least 10% or reduced its direct interest of at least 10% to less than 10%.
      2. Changed its direct interest by at least a 10% interest.
    4. Contributed property to a foreign partnership in exchange for a partnership interest if:
      1. Immediately after the contribution, the corporation owned, directly or indirectly, at least a 10% interest in the foreign partnership or
      2. The fair market value of the property the corporation contributed to the foreign partnership, when added to other contributions of property made to the foreign partnership during the preceding 12-month period, exceeds $100,000.

        Also, the domestic corporation may have to file Form 8865 to report certain dispositions by a foreign partnership of property it previously contributed to that partnership if it was a partner at the time of the disposition.

        For more details, including penalties for failing to file Form 8865, see Form 8865 and its separate instructions.

  • Form 8866, Interest Computation Under the Look-Back Method for Property Depreciated Under the Income Forecast Method. Figure the interest due or to be refunded under the look-back method of section 167(g)(2) for property placed in service after September 13, 1995, that is depreciated under the income forecast method.

Amended Return

Use Form 1120X, Amended U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1120 or Form 1120-A.


Consolidated returns. File supporting statements for each corporation included in the consolidated return. Do not use Form 1120 as a supporting statement. On the supporting statement, use columns to show the following, both before and after adjustments:

  1. Items of gross income and deductions.
  2. A computation of taxable income.
  3. Balance sheets as of the beginning and end of the tax year.
  4. A reconciliation of income per books with income per return.
  5. A reconciliation of retained earnings.

Enter the totals for the consolidated group on Form 1120. Attach consolidated balance sheets and a reconciliation of consolidated retained earnings. For more information on consolidated returns, see the regulations under section 1502.

Corporate tax shelters. A corporation is required to disclose its participation in certain tax shelters:

  • By attaching a disclosure statement to its income tax return for a reportable transaction for each tax year its income tax liability is affected by its participation in the transaction and
  • For the first tax year a disclosure statement is attached to its tax return, by sending a copy of the disclosure statement to the Internal Revenue Service, LM:PFTG:OTSA, Large & Mid-Size Business Division, 1111 Constitution Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20224.

Disclosure is required for reportable transactions that are: (a) listed transactions that the IRS has identified as tax avoidance transactions and (b) other reportable transactions that have tax shelter characteristics. A listed transaction must be reported if it is expected to reduce the taxpayer's income tax liability by more than $1 million in a single tax year or by a total of more than $2 million for any combination of years. For other reportable transactions, the threshold increases to $5 million for a single tax year or to $10 million for any combination of years. Generally, reporting is not required for customary business transactions or transactions with tax benefits that the IRS has no reasonable basis to challenge.

See Temporary Regulations section 1.6011-4T for details, including:

  • The definition of a reportable transaction and a listed transaction,
  • The relevant tax shelter characteristics for other reportable transactions,
  • The form and content of the disclosure statement, and
  • The filing requirements of the disclosure statement.

Also see Notice 2001-51, 2001-34 I.R.B. 190, for certain listed transactions determined to have a tax avoidance purpose and the intended tax benefits that are subject to disallowance. The listed transactions in this notice may be updated from time to time when other tax avoidance transactions are identified.

Stock ownership in foreign corporations. Attach the statement required by section 551(c) if:

  • The corporation owned 5% or more in value of the outstanding stock of a foreign personal holding company and
  • The corporation was required to include in its gross income any undistributed foreign personal holding company income from a foreign personal holding company.

Transfers to a corporation controlled by the transferor. If a person receives stock of a corporation in exchange for property, and no gain or loss is recognized under section 351, the person (transferor) and the transferee must each attach to their tax returns the information required by Regulations section 1.351-3.

Dual consolidated losses. If a domestic corporation incurs a dual consolidated loss (as defined in Regulations section 1.1503-2(c)(5)), the corporation (or consolidated group) may need to attach an elective relief agreement and/or an annual certification as provided in Regulations section 1.1503-2(g)(2).

- Continue -

2001 Instructions Index | 2001 Tax Forms Main | IRS-Forms Main | Home