IRS Tax Forms  
Publication 544 2001 Tax Year

Form 4797

Use Form 4797 to report gain or loss from a sale, exchange, or involuntary conversion of property used in your trade or business or held for the production of rents or royalties. You can use Form 4797 with Form 1040, 1065, 1120, or 1120S.

Section 1231 gains and losses. Show any section 1231 gains and losses in Part I. Carry a net gain to Schedule D (Form 1040) as a long-term capital gain. Carry a net loss to Part II of Form 4797 as an ordinary loss.

If you had any nonrecaptured net section 1231 losses from the preceding 5 tax years, reduce your net gain by those losses and report the amount of the reduction as an ordinary gain in Part II. Report any remaining gain on Schedule D (Form 1040). See Section 1231 Gains and Losses in chapter 3.

Ordinary gains and losses. Show any ordinary gains and losses in Part II. This includes a net loss or a recapture of losses from prior years figured in Part I of Form 4797. It also includes ordinary gain figured in Part III.

Ordinary income from depreciation. Figure the ordinary income from depreciation on personal property and additional depreciation on real property (as discussed in chapter 3) in Part III. Carry the ordinary income to Part II of Form 4797 as an ordinary gain. Carry any remaining gain to Part I as section 1231 gain, unless it is from a casualty or theft. Carry any remaining gain from a casualty or theft to Form 4684.

Previous| First | Next

Publication Index | IRS-Forms Main | Home