IRS Tax Forms  
Publication 527 2001 Tax Year

How To Report Rental Income & Expenses

If you rent buildings, rooms, or apartments, and provide only heat and light, trash collection, etc., you normally report your rental income and expenses in Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040). However, do not use that schedule to report a not-for-profit activity. See Not Rented For Profit under Rental Expenses, earlier.

If you provide significant services that are primarily for your tenant's convenience, such as regular cleaning, changing linen, or maid service, you report your rental income and expenses on Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business or Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit From Business. Significant services do not include the furnishing of heat and light, cleaning of public areas, trash collection, etc. For information, see Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business (For Individuals Who Use Schedule C or C-EZ). You also may have to pay self-employment tax on your rental income. See Publication 533, Self-Employment Tax.

Schedule E (Form 1040)

Use Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040) to report your rental income and expenses. List your total income, expenses, and depreciation for each rental property. Be sure to answer the question on line 2.

If you have more than three rental or royalty properties, complete and attach as many Schedules E as are needed to list the properties. Complete lines 1 and 2 for each property. However, fill in the "Totals" column on only one Schedule E. The figures in the "Totals" column on that Schedule E should be the combined totals of all Schedules E.

Page 2 of Schedule E is used to report income or loss from partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, and real estate mortgage investment conduits. If you need to use page 2 of Schedule E, use page 2 of the same Schedule E you used to enter the combined totals in Part I.

On page 1, line 20 of Schedule E, enter the depreciation you are claiming. You must complete and attach Form 4562 for rental activities only if you are claiming:

  • Depreciation on property placed in service during 2001,
  • Depreciation on any property that is listed property (such as a car), regardless of when it was placed in service, or
  • Any car expenses (actual or the standard mileage rate).

Otherwise, figure your depreciation on your own worksheet. You do not have to attach these computations to your return.

Illustrated Example

In January, Eileen Johnson bought a condominium apartment to live in. Instead of selling the house she had been living in, she decided to change it to rental property. Eileen selected a tenant and started renting the house on February 1. Eileen charges $550 a month for rent and collects it herself. Eileen received a $550 security deposit from her tenant. Because she plans to return it to her tenant at the end of the lease, she does not include it in her income. Her house expenses for the year are as follows:

Mortgage interest $1,800
Fire insurance (1-year policy) 100
Miscellaneous repairs (after renting) 297
Real estate taxes imposed and paid 800

Eileen must divide the real estate taxes, mortgage interest, and fire insurance between the personal use of the property and the rental use of the property. She can deduct eleven-twelfths of these expenses as rental expenses. She can include the balance of the allowable taxes and mortgage interest on Schedule A (Form 1040) if she itemizes. She cannot deduct the balance of the fire insurance because it is a personal expense.

Eileen bought this house in 1979 for $35,000. Her property tax was based on assessed values of $10,000 for the land and $25,000 for the house. Before changing it to rental property, Eileen added several improvements to the house. She figures her adjusted basis as follows:

Improvements Cost
House $25,000
Remodeled kitchen 4,200
Recreation room 5,800
New roof 1,600
Patio and deck 2,400
Adjusted basis $39,000

On February 1, when Eileen changed her house to rental property, the property had a fair market value of $92,000. Of this amount, $20,000 was for the land and $72,000 was for the house.

Because Eileen's adjusted basis is less than the fair market value on the date of the change, Eileen uses $39,000 as her basis for depreciation.

Because the house is residential rental property, she must use the straight line method of depreciation using either the GDS recovery period or the ADS recovery period. She chooses the GDS recovery period of 27.5 years.

She uses Table 4-D to find her depreciation percentage. Because she placed the property in service in February, she finds the percentage to be 3.182%.

On April 1, Eileen bought a new dishwasher for the rental property at a cost of $425. The dishwasher is personal property used in a rental real estate activity, which has a 5-year recovery period. She uses the percentage under "Half-year convention" in Table 4-A to figure her depreciation deduction for the dishwasher.

On May 1, Eileen paid $2,000 to have a furnace installed in the house. The furnace is residential rental property. Because she placed the property in service in May, she finds the percentage from Table 4-D to be 2.273%.

Eileen figures her net rental income or loss for the house as follows:

Total rental income received ($550 × 11)   $6,050
Minus: Expenses    
Mortgage interest ($1,800 × 11/12) $1,650  
Fire insurance ($100 × 11/12) 92  
Miscellaneous repairs 297  
Real estate taxes ($800 × 11/12) 733  
Total expenses   2,772
Balance   $3,278
Minus: Depreciation    
House ($39,000 × 3.182%) $1,241  
Dishwasher ($425 × 20%) 85  
Furnace ($2,000 × 2.273%) 45  
Total depreciation   1,371
Net rental income for house   $1,907

Eileen uses Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040) to report her rental income and expenses. She enters her income, expenses, and depreciation for the house in the column for Property A. She uses Form 4562 to figure and report her depreciation. Eileen's Schedule E (Form 1040) is shown next. Her Form 4562 is not shown. See Publication 946 for information on how to prepare Form 4562.

Johnson Schedule E (Form 1040)

Previous| First | Next

Publication Index | IRS-Forms Main | Home